This Page

has been moved to new address

Last Night's Chicken Dinner

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
This Silly Girl's Life: Last Night's Chicken Dinner

Monday, August 27, 2012

Last Night's Chicken Dinner

     Hello peoples, so we meet again. Today's post is about what I made for dinner last night. I really don't have a fancy name for it but it was marinated then baked chicken with my pan seared brussel sprouts, potato skins and salad. I actually was able to take some pictures with my handy dandy digital camera, you should be happy about that. They still aren't the best pics on the planet but I never claimed to be a photographer or have been blessed with an amazing camera either. ANYways...

     My first step here would be to marinade my chicken. When the hubs and I have our weekly run to the grocery store we always go for the whole chickens. They are wayyyy cheaper than buying pre-cut chicken or just buying the parts of the chicken that you like. And, he tends to like the thighs and legs while I like the white meat so it's definitely a win-win in this house. When I get home I just cut up all the different parts of the chicken and distribute them into separate baggies for different meals. I also take off the wings, cut them into their separate parts and place them in a freezer bag and place in the freezer. Every time we go to the store and I get to cut up more chicken I always reserve the wings and place in this same bag that is kept in the freezer. When I have a whole gallon size bag saved up of wings then we have wing night! It really is a treat and pretty much like a bonus meal.
     Wow, I like to ramble...back to the marinade! Pretty much I just take a ton of spices out of my cupboard mix it with some oil and bam you got a kick butt marinade which will resemble this:

Kick butt marinade
     In my coffee cup I have (and this is a rough estimate once again of the measurements...if you're getting p.o.ed at me and want me to start measuring out my stuffs let me know in the comments please and thank you)
  • 1/8 Cup      Veggie Oil
  • 2 Tbls         paprika
  • 2 Tbls         sugar
  • 2 Tbls         fresh squeezed lime juice (or any kind of vinegar would work here as well)
  • 1 Tbls         cumin powder
  • 1 tsp           oregano
  • 1 1/2 tsp     garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp     onion powder
  • 1 tsp           chili powder
  • salt and pepper to your taste
Mix all these ingredients in small bowl (or coffee mug as I have here).

     I have also in the past added some fresh cilantro to this marinade as well and that come out great.  I always use this marinade when I am making chicken tacos and it is soooo good. So, when marinade is mixed just slather on your chicken pieces like this:



      It is a very thick marinade so it will look a bit gloppy and as it sits the oil will kind of separate which is fine. I normally will cook this on the grill and I highly suggest you do it that was as well. Start it off on a lower heat and let it cook through then get a nice char just at the end, the sugar in the marinade can burn quickly if put over too high a heat in the beginning. No one wants to eat raw chicken with a burnt exterior. But, I had to cook in the oven since we haven't filled our propane tank in quite a while so I once again broke out my trusty thermometer and laid the pieces out on a cookie sheet like so:

  I let the chicken sit in the fridge with marinade on them for about 2 hours, you can do it for pretty much as long as you like, but be careful the vinegar or the lime juice (whichever you use) may start to cook the chicken slightly if left on too long, just double check it. This cooked for (i think) about 20-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. With the thermometer set on 165 degree internal temp. The thermometer let's me know when it's done so I don't have to time anything and I don't have to keep opening the oven to check and losing all that heat. Just place the thermometer in the thickest piece of chicken and make sure it is directly in the thickest part in the center to get the most accurate reading.
     While this was cooking I made my stuffed potato skins and pan seared brussel sprouts. I will just show the pictures I took while making each. If you would like me to make another post about how to cook either please leave in comments below and I will do that for you! Here ya go:


     Yum! I'm drooling just thinking about these potatoes again! So now at this point my chicken is finished with the timer beeping, I then take out the thermometer set the oven on to broil high and let the broiler carmelize the top of my chicken pieces to try and get that charr-y grill flavor(Watch the pieces the entire time! Will burn very fast if not careful!!). Then I plate everything and here is what the final product looked like on hubbies plate:


     He loved it, of course! I hope you find the time to try out this keeper! And, if you're looking for a way to liven up family taco night try the marinade on some boneless chicken breasts on the grill, or boneless thighs, thinly slice then place in your favorite tortilla with whatever toppings your heart desires! Happy cooking! XOXO

--Dana

2 Comments:

At August 28, 2012 at 8:38 AM , Blogger maria said...

Looks delicious.

 
At August 28, 2012 at 9:39 AM , Anonymous Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life said...

Thanks! If you try it out let me know how it goes... (C:

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home